ISO 14001: 2015 – Environmental Management System Standard
What is ISO 14001 Standard?
It is an environmental management system standard which was originally issued in 1997, revised in 2004 and now updated as 2015 version. If we look at the background of this standard, it becomes very clear that sustainable growth is only possible if we maintain a balance between three factors – Environment, society & economy.
This standard addresses the requirement to provide organizations with a framework to protect the environment including flora & fauna & continual reduce wastage of natural resources. It has been developed by World experts & is being implemented voluntarily by numerous organizations globally. It recommends a systematic approach to identify internal and external environmental issues in context of the organization. .
Focus area in EMS is to achieve operational effectives & to improve environmental performance of the organization. It can be achieved by creating awareness of environmental issues, providing training, optimum utilization of resources, control of pollution & implementation of actions to mitigate the impact of significant aspects.
Concepts of ISO 14001
- Continual Improvement Approach to Environmental management.
- Management commitment to implementation of EMS.
- Strategies focused on protection of Environment.
- Co-operation – Collective Wisdom & Transparency of the system.
- Employs Process Approach to business operations.
- Evidence of performance.
- Environment Protection is Every Ones responsibility.
- Use of COMMON – SENSE
Benefits of ISO 14001
- It provides a documented EMS & helps in establishing an objective driven Environmental Policy.
- It demonstrates commitment towards protection of the Environment to Stake holders.
- It assist in meeting regulatory requirements & those of interested parties, related to environmental issues.
- It provides transparency within the organization regarding EMS & data base for decision making.
- Reduces incidents that result in liability, therefore reducing insurance costs
- It acts as a management tool to achieve protection of the environment & compliance with the requirements of regulatory body & interested parties.
- It improves cost control through conserving input materials and energy.
- Organization gets preference in attainment of permits and authorizations for running industry /business. Certified organization gets discounts in insurance premiums.
- It gives more confidence to the top management in their own system.
- It provides Recognition in the Society.