Energy Management System (EnMS) ISO 50001 / BS EN 16001
WHAT IS ISO 50001 / BS EN 16001 STANDARD?
Standard for Energy Management (ISO 50001 / BS EN 16001) provides the most robust framework for optimizing energy efficiency in organizations. The standard provides a comprehensive set of controls designed to help organizations establish the systems and processes necessary to improve energy efficiency. ISO 50001 / BS EN 16001provide a structure for continuous improvement of an organization’s energy efficiency and sustainable use. It is a framework for the systematic management of energy as well as enhancing energy efficiency. An EnMS can cut costs and reduce carbon emissions providing a competitive advantage. ISO 50001 / BS EN 16001 represents the latest best practice in energy management, specifying the requirements for an EnMS to enable the organization develop and implement a policy, identify significant areas of energy consumption and target energy reductions. The aim of the standard is to put practices in place that are effective, and result in measurable energy savings. In practice, an effective energy management system should result in organizations taking action to improve energy efficiency, continual improvement year-by-year and an improved performance in energy usage, thorough analysis of areas with potential for energy saving being carried out. Energy management is one of the most effective measures that business can take to reduce operational costs, improve its competitiveness and demonstrate to industry that it is operating in a sustainable way. A key way to achieve this is through implementation of an energy management system framework based on standardized best practice such as ISO 50001 / BS EN 16001. It is intended to apply to all types and sizes of organizations and can be used independently of, or integrated with, any other management system.
ISO 50001 / BS 16001 APPLIES TO ANY ORGANIZATION THAT WISHES TO:
- Improve energy performance in a systematic way
- Establish, implement, maintain and improve an energy management system
- Ensure that it conforms with its stated energy policy
- Demonstrate such conformance to others
- Seek certification of its energy management system by an external organization
- Make a self-evaluation and self-declaration of conformance with the standard.
KEY ELEMENTS FOR IMPLEMENTING ISO 50001/BS 16001 ENMS:
- Energy policy statement
- Identification of significant energy aspects
- Establishment of energy objectives & targets
- Implementation plan to meet energy objectives & targets
- Identifying competence and training requirements
- EnMS Documentation
- EnMS Internal audit
- Management review
BENEFITS OF ISO 50001 / BS 16001
Save money and reduce costs through energy efficiencies
- Comply with legislation and meet stakeholder expectations
- Support sustainable development policies
- Enhance the reputation of your business and win more customers
- Enhanced marketing capabilities. Make your business stand out.
- Continual improvements on energy performance.
- System Compatibility- can be integrated with existing management system